[torqueusers] Is OpenPBS 2.3.16 server compatible with TORQUE 2.0.0p5 mom ?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jan 11 13:06:39 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:26:11AM -0600, David McGiven alleged:

> Dear Torque users,
>
> I have a server (ia32 debian linux) running pbs_server and pbs_sched (From
> OpenPBS-2.3.16 package).
>
> I have a client (ia64 SLES9 linux) running pbs_mom (From torque-2.0.0p5).
>
> When doing an pbsnodes -a on the server, the client is listed as
> state-unknown,down.
>
> Checking the logs on /usr/spool/PBS/mom_logs I can see that the server is
> communicating with the client, but still it appears as state-unknown,down.
>
> Does anybody know what could be the problem ?
>
> Is pbs_server from openbsd compatible with pbs_mom from TORQUE ?

Unfortunately, no.  This isn't going to happen.  TORQUE's "node hello"
protocol was changed incompatibly very early in its development.  The
reverse won't work either, TORQUE pbs_server won't talk to openpbs mom.

You'll need to downgrade the ia64 box to openpbs, or upgrade the rest of
the cluster to TORQUE.  And I don't think old openpbs mom will work
correctly on newer linux distros.

--
University of Southern California