[torqueusers] isolating queues

Garrick Staples garrick@usc.edu
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:23:45 -0700

--Kz6eUT30PReluLpA

On a public list, please use plain text.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:10:07PM -0400, Stewart.Samuels@aventis.com alleg=
ed:
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We are setting up a beowulf cluster and =
are
> running torque and maui on a system with a primary and secondary master n=
ode
> configuration with HA-linux.&nbsp; Additionally, there are 90 compute nod=
es
> involved.&nbsp; What we would like to do is initially set the system up w=
ith
> 8 compute nodes logically isolated from the 90 via torque and maui.&nbsp;
> That is, we want one queue to know about 82 compute nodes and another que=
ue
> to know about the 8 nodes.&nbsp; Has anyone experience with setting up
> multiple queues in this way that would be willing to share, by example, t=
he
> qmgr commands.</FONT></P>

This is remarkably easy to do.  Simply define some node attributes in your
nodes file that describe the different queues, in assign a
resources_default.neednodes queue attribute that matches.  Maui will see the
queue attribute and only assign matching nodes for those jobs.

$PBSHOME/server_priv/nodes has:
node1   q1attr
node2   q1attr
node3   q2attr
node4   q2attr

qmgr has:
set queue q1 resources_default.neednodes =3D q1attr
set queue q2 resources_default.neednodes =3D q2attr

Note, it doesn't work in recent Maui 3.2.6 snapshots, but I posted a patch
that fixes it a few days ago.  Check the archive.

There's also another method using standard reservations.  While it
might be more powerful and flexible, it's far more complicated and fragile.

--=20
University of Southern California

--Kz6eUT30PReluLpA

--Kz6eUT30PReluLpA--