[torqueusers] How to suspend a job ?

Sébastien Georget Sebastien.Georget@sophia.inria.fr
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:48:41 +0200

--------------enig87C15B0E9CFAB79C5195BCC6

Sébastien Georget wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I would like to know if there an easy way to suspend an mpi job using
> torque.
> I see two problems :
> 1/ send a signal to the 'master'
> 2/ send a signal to the 'slaves'
>
> 1/ I tried to use 'qsig -s SIGTSTP myjob'. The signal is sent to the
> mom, then forwarded to the shell used to start the pbs script.
> The signal stops here, it seems that it is not send to the children of
> the pbs script, is this the normal behaviour ? how to suspend an
> application if that is the case ?
It seems that there was a problem during my first tests. The signal is
correctly sent to all children.

> 2/ Will 'mpiexec' send the signal to all the host involded in the mpi
> run ? Are there solutions to suspend all mpi process and not only the
> master ?
By default mpiexec doesn't catch the SIGTSTP signal. What I have done is
to write a small patch to catch the SIGTSTP signal and send a SIGSTOP to
each mpi process.

Users can now suspend their job manually but they are still marked as
running in the qstat output.
It seems that a job is marked as suspended when signaled with the
'suspend' signal (qsig -s suspend jobid) but suspend = SIGSTOP.
Is it possible to change 'suspend' to SIGTSTP when the user is running a
parallel job and leave it as SIGSTOP for sequential jobs ?

--
Sébastien Georget
INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, Service DREAM, B.P. 93