[Moabusers] How to keep non-preemptor jobs from running on top of preempted jobs?

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Nov 8 14:38:12 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:17 -0600, Douglas Wightman wrote:
> The problem stems from the fact that suspended jobs have no
> reservations.  This means that jobs looking to run after the preemptor
> job don't factor in the suspended job.
>
> You can currently get around this problem if you give the preemptee jobs
> the preemptor flag as well.  That way they can preempt the idle job
> reservations.

I'm not crazy about letting preemptees be preemptors as well; that way
lies madness IMHO.  Since which jobs get preempted is based partly on
their priority, is there any way I could make a preemptee job
automatically receive a priority boost after it's been preempted for the
first time?  That would at least give me a way to control this behavior
in the near term.

> However, it would probably make sense for us to allow
> suspended jobs to preempt idle job reservations without the need for
> setting a flag.

Any idea on when that might be implemented?

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, Supercomputing Support Engineer
Ohio Supercomputer Center