[Mauiusers] Re: maui not schedulling jobs in avaliable resources

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no
Fri Feb 27 05:32:39 MST 2009

On Sunday 22 February 2009 13:25:59 Roy Dragseth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I've got the solution coded now.  By introducing a new config
> parameter, IDLEJOBDEPTH, one can get maui to continue to parse down the
> idle job chain until it reaches the IDLEJOBDEPTH limit.  The default value
> is 1 to preserve the current behaviour of maui or else the patch will not
> be accepted by CR.  My plan is to use this in combination with a per user
> based MAXIJOB to prevent single users from flooding the queue.  If you set
> IDLEJOBDEPTH to the total number of job slots in your cluster you should be
> able to fill the available job slots within a reasonably few iterations.
>
> It's not the optimal solution, one should perhaps introduce some logic that
> understands why some jobs might be idle while others further down the chain
> can run, but given the potential complexity introduced by combining
> classes, standing reservations and node features I'm not clever enough to
> figure out how.
>
> I'll submit a patch against v3.2.6p21 to bugzilla for review by CR  as soon
> as its up and running again, I get this error right now

It seems to take a while before the bugzilla comes online so here's the patch.

Can anyone at CR tell me if this will be accepted or not?  Please let me know
if something is missing or not acceptable for inclusion into the maui
mainline.

We've been running maui with this patch since Sunday 23rd and the utilization
has increased by almost 15%.

r.

--
  The Computer Center, University of Tromsø, N-9037 TROMSØ Norway.
              phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00
         Direct call: +47 77 64 62 56. email: roy.dragseth at uit.no