[Mauiusers] Re: maui not schedulling jobs in avaliable resources

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no
Fri Feb 20 16:51:31 MST 2009

Hi.

Your posting gave me the clue on how to reproduce this problem on my test
cluster, I've been ripping hairs out of my head trying to figure out why I
could not reproduce the same behaviour as we see on our production cluster.

It seems like maui stops parsing through the remaining idle jobs as soon as it
finds a job that cannot run, possibly on a per user and/or class basis, I don't
know.

If you comment out line 905 in src/moab/MQueue.c that reads

 IdleJobFound = TRUE;

it seems to continue parsing the idle jobs until the end.  The IdleJobFound =
TRUE is at another place too, but I cannot tell when that kicks in.

Maybe we could make this configurable?  One can envision scenarios where the
current behaviour is reasonable, for instance where you have thousands of jobs
in the queue and they all have the same specs.  If you want to continue
parsing the idle queue you should probably  set the MAXIJOB to limit the jobs
to parse per scheduling cycle.

r.

--
  The Computer Center, University of Tromsø, N-9037 TROMSØ Norway.
              phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00
         Direct call: +47 77 64 62 56. email: roy.dragseth at uit.no